Friday, March 8, 2013

E is for Easter and Ostara

Easter and Ostara are so different, yet have so much in common. One is Christian, the other Pagan. One focuses on the Passion of Jesus Christ, the other on the Equinox and the return of Spring. One focuses on resurrection, the other... does too.
   

I come from a Catholic family, and nearly all of my extended relatives are Christian, so we get together on Easter Sunday every year. I am Pagan, celebrate Ostara, (at least once a year) and want to teach my children (ages 4 and 1) about my faith. There are plenty of ways to teach them about Ostara which I'm planning to do, but there's the matter of the bunny. In previous years, we didn't do the Easter/Ostara/Spring Bunny and the kids weren't old enough to miss it, but I'd like to do it this year. The trouble is deciding when said bunny should arrive. Ostara is more religiously significant to me, but most of my family would say that about Easter. My husband isn't religious and really doesn't seem to care. It would be so much simpler if Ostara and Easter just fell on the same day, but I can't even count on them being near each other. Ostara is on the Equinox, but Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. That means they could be as little as 2 days apart, or as much as 35 days apart. I think I like the idea of celebrating Easter like a secular holiday, and the bunny can come then. Ostara will be about Earth, and Easter can be about candy. Maybe we can color eggs on Ostara, and use them to decorate on Easter. If it weren't for all the Easter commotion, it might be easier to have the bunny come on Ostara, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment